Course 6: Vocabulary and Spelling Instruction
This course is part of the Online Professional Development Certificate Program
Research-Based Reading Instructions and Interventions: Elementary Level
About this Course
This course is designed to provide an overview of learning related to word knowledge (vocabulary) and spelling.
As a result of taking this course, students will be able to -
1. Describe how words are learned
2. Identify and implement new pedagogical strategies related to vocabulary
3. Identify and implement new pedagogical strategies related to spelling
4. Engage in a reflective analysis and response related to three pedagogical strategies
6. Word Class: A self-selected approach to spelling instruction (6:18)
7. Which Word Looks Right? (4:16)
8. Sentence dictation for spelling (2:58)
Reflective Analysis and Response Assignment
Select any three of the eight strategies above to try in your classrooms. Implement each strategy for at least two weeks (you can do this simultaneously). Then, conduct a reflective analysis using the below template. Share your results on the FlipGrid discussion. This discussion format allows you to share your ideas using short, recorded videos (90 seconds or less). It is simple to use. Go to the site below to record your ideas:
https://flipgrid.com/bkwr2uf Use the password: ReadingAJ
Report and Analysis Form
Date(s) of implementation:
1. How did you use the strategy?
2. What seemed to work well?
3. What would you do differently?
4. Other observations and analysis:
Discussion Web Responding Guide
1. Interesting. Find and describe some part of the entry that you like or find to be interesting or useful.
2. Question. Find and describe some part of the entry about which you’d like more information or have questions.
3. Extension or application. Identify and describe other ideas, applications, or extensions you might have related to the entry.